Thursday, July 16, 2009

How can you CARE?

In my last post, I said that I would discuss CARE, an organization committed to fighting global poverty. One of CARE's main focuses is on educating and empowering women because, according to CARE's website, "women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty."

I first learned about CARE at our division's annual conference in January. The woman who spoke showed us an extremely moving video and discussed some powerful statistics. The hardships that many women around the world endure daily was something that, to my own embarrassment today, I hadn't truly considered before. It made me want to do something, volunteer, donate, visit a foreign country... but, again, to my own embarrassment, CARE was something that I didn't think of again until recently.

Then this month, our book club (yes, I'm in a book club), read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. This book highlights events in Afghanistan over the past 30 years, but focuses two women, their struggles as women in that part of the world, and their relationship with one another. If it's possible, this book made me feel so incredibly appreciative and incredibly spoiled at the same time. Either way, it made me think, consider, and learn about a part of the world I'd only really learned about on the news and who knows how much truth is in the news anyway.

So, I revisited CARE's website, read about their initiatives, and decided to do what I can from where I am, and support their cause this month. I encourage you to read about what they do and do whatever you can to help, if you choose to do so.

No comments: