Tuesday, October 27, 2009

First Day with Meals on Wheels

I began volunteering with East Cooper Meals on Wheels last Thursday and I'm so glad I did. With 8 volunteers and 2 staff members, we packed 2 meals for over 150 homebound people for that day alone. Since it was my first day, I was responsible for dividing and counting bananas. The others formed an extremely efficient assembly line to divide, package, and pack hot meals, all while chatting animatedly about the fundraising dinner the night before.

I learned a lot that day about the East Cooper distribution center. The following lists a few of the highlights:
1. Of the five local distribution centers, East Cooper is the only one without a waiting list of any kind.
2. Although most meal recipients are the poor elderly, East Cooper delivers to anyone of any age who is homebound for any length of time and/or unable to independently provide a meal. Recently, they delivered to a woman in her 40s with breast cancer who was too ill to fix meals.
3. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, East Cooper delivers a veritable feast including fresh turkey and all the fixins!

I'm looking forward to many new experiences!

No comments: