Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Days without a Cell Phone

For those of you who don't know, I'm rough on cell phones. From dropping them down storm drains to losing them completely, it's rare that I have the same phone for more than a year. This time though, my phone simply died on its own. After many trips to Verizon and missed FedEx deliveries, I haven't had a cell phone in three days.

The first day without my phone, panic ensued. Who am I going to talk to in the car on the way to work? How am I going to get in touch with people? What happens when people can't get in touch with me 24/7?

The second day, I was less stressed. I wasn't constantly checking my purse or pocket to make sure I hadn't forgotten it. When I did talk to my dad (thanks to the generosity of my roommates), I had a more meaningful conversation with him because I hadn't already talked to him 4 times that day. I Skyped with a friend rather than just texting him. I stopped by another friend's houses to hang out.

Today I'm wondering if I even need a cell phone.

Who am I kidding? Of course I do, but this time reminded me of a conversation our class had in grad school about cell phones and technology in general. From Facebook to Twitter to email, we have an abundance of ways to stay in touch with friends, family, and colleagues. But, do we lose those moments we might have had with others in our lives or miss a connection while in the grocery store/in an elevator/on the subway because we're chatting away to someone in another state?

I understand that it's a give and take. I've maintained close relationships with my friends from high school and college and my family in other states thanks to this technology, but it does make me think.

No comments: