Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Initiatives

Obviously I'm a little behind on the 2010 posts as this is my first, but better late the never right? (Or insert other cliche about time here) For anyone who knows me, you know that I regularly decide to take on new initiatives, independent of the New Year... some of the 2009's included:
  • Eat at a new restaurant once a week- I haven't done so consistently, but it has pushed me to try new places rather than eating at my favorites.
  • Start a book club- Done and done. We have a group of girls that meets once every month or so for beverages, food, and some chit chat about the book we chose. It may or may not be an excuse to drink wine on a Tuesday, but it does push me to read books that I wouldn't normally pick up otherwise.
  • Brush up on my Spanish- I made mediocre attempts in 2009 but have ramped up efforts in 2010 as I'm going to Spain in May! I've downloaded a couple of podcasts and lessons from iTunesU (which is really cool if you've never checked it out before!) and I think I'll stick with it since I have an upcoming opportunity to really use it.
  • Learn about cars- This was more or less a flop. I bought a book geared towards women... perhaps a little ambitious amongst the plethora of other things I'd like to accomplish.
  • Read the "Intellectual Devotional" daily- I miss school. I love to learn. And this book has a different subject, person, or event everyday. For the two weeks I did read it, I learned a lot.
  • Read books for leisure- Huh? Not so much time for that. 
Not to mention that, as I've blogged about before, I get 6 or 7 magazines a month. I also play tennis and work! Hard to believe I know, but I have to have some way to fund these adventures.

So for 2010, I have these plus a few others. Somewhere along the line, I'm going to have to figure out how to prioritize these. 


  • Be a tourist in Charleston- I live in a city that people scramble to visit every year. It's unlikely that I'll live here forever, so I need to take advantage of it while I can.
  • Blog consistently and with a purpose- I know a downfall of a lot of blogs is a lack of direction. Sometimes I think I have one, and other times I'm not sure. I know I don't have a lot of readers, but I plan on changing that this year!
  • Cook twice a week- I know it doesn't sound like much, but this is (hopefully) a stepping stone to becoming a culinary genius! ...or something along those lines. I suppose I could settle for Preparer of Edible Food.
  • Journal and Keep a Travel Journal- My memory is less than stellar, perhaps due to a lack of focus (see previous posts and above ramblings for reference), so I'd like to journal about those events and trips that are new and different, as well as those little things I'd like to remember about my friends and family.
And although I don't mention them here, I have career goals as well... I guess it's time to get started! Any advice to keep me on track?

1 comment:

Hope said...

I like your goals, and like you I make my lists and then somehow along the way . . . well, slack off. So I have some suggestions for you:
-Come practice Spanish with Hannah because she's taking it this semester at our homeschool co-op
-Play tourist in Charleston when we come visit in July
-Definitely do practice your culinary skills so you can wow us in visit stated above (and save me lots of eating out money)
-Definitely need to blog more often!

Just some of my thoughts!

~hope