Thursday, January 21, 2010

Social Media Makeover: Days 1-4

As I said in a previous post, I've decided to embark on a Social Media Makeover with help from The Social Path. And although one of my 2010 resolutions is to blog more often, it's been a slow go so far so I'm starting with the first 4 days.

Day 1: Flesh Out Your LinkedIn Public Profile
This turned out to be a quick fix. My profile was fairly complete and already public but I did update my resume with some additional experience and I learned that LinkedIn HAD public profiles and privacy settings. Who knew?

Day 2: Try Posterous, a better way to blog and bookmark.
Even after reading the post about Posteroous AND reading the FAQs on the Posterous site, I still didn't completely understand the concept. So I followed the instructions and emailed some content (a picture) to post@posterous.com with almost no idea what would happen next. About 10 seconds later I received an email with a link to my Posterous site with the picture posted, just like a blog post... kind of.

I found the most intriguing aspect of Posterous in this section of the FAQs:
Autopost to everywhere
Just set up your other accounts here. The next time you post to posterous, we will instantly autopost everywhere else.

Facebook minifeed or status can be updated with your most recent posts. If you attach photos, we'll automatically organize and post them into your photo albums.






Twitter messages will use the title of your post up to 130 characters, and then append a shortened post.ly
url.






Flickr photos will be put automatically in your photostream. If you attach multiple photos, we'll post them all in the order we receive them.








Blogs will be updated with the full content you send us. We'll host your images, music and files, so you don't have to lift a finger.






Although, I also realized the people that I interact the most with on my blog, Facebook, and Twitter are pretty much the same people. It seems like there are those people who are interested and those who are, well, not. So I'll keep playing with my new Posterous account and see how I like it... although another something I've realized is you only get out of it what you put into it (original thought, I know).


Day 3: Switch 10 of your Flickr photos to Creative Commons
I didn't have any pictures on Flickr prior to attempting this makeover. I don't have a lot of nonpersonal pictures that I could share rights with or that people would even want to use. But I did upload two "scenic" pictures from the mountains.

Day 4: Cull your crowd on Twitter
Done. No crown means no need to cull. I don't use Twitter as actively as most, I like to think it has to do with a lack of a fancy phone with internet. Perhaps another initiative?

1 comment:

safety consultancy service said...

Its good source of information as i like the way you written your post ......

Safety Products