Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Magazine's Best: Recipes

People with a knack for cooking never cease to amaze me, but what's more impressive are those who figure out which flavors will work together. Can you tell I just watched Top Chef Masters?

My grandmother gave me a subscription to Better Homes & Gardens a couple of Christmases ago and while I don't have a home OR a garden, I love the features on people's homes and, most of all, reader submitted recipes. From this month, I'm looking forward to trying the Summer Vegetable Potato Salad. I don't know if you've noticed, but I have the tendency to go on "kicks". I get extremely passionate about something and then it seems to fizzle out. But this recipe is the perfect way for me to search out the closest farmer's market, support local agriculture, and get some time in the kitchen.

For a tried (by me) and true summer salad/relish, make this Corn Salsa with Feta and Walnuts. It is ridiculously easy to make, delicious, and tastes even better the next day. No need to cook the corn and avoid jalapeno hands by wearing gloves while chopping, mine burned for two days!

That's the wonderful and difficult thing about cooking and trying new recipes. Part of me is discouraged because I didn't make it just right and the other part knows what to do next time to make it even better.

No comments: