Friday, January 21, 2011

Guilty Pleasure

I once thought that introducing DVR into my home would cause me to watch a million shows that I wouldn't otherwise and permanently attach me to my couch. However, it's just the opposite. When I have time to sit and watch TV, I only watch those shows that I intended to watch... well, except for that Sunday a few weeks ago when I was sucked into a Jersey Shore marathon...

But I digress. My guilty pleasure is not watching these shows, but reading the follow-up online.

A friend from high school got me hooked on Gossip Girl (ridiculous, but lots of pretty people to look at) then got me hooked on reading the Recap on NY Mag's Daily Intel blog the next day. Basically, these bloggers watch the show and add or subtract points based on the ridiculousness. It is highly entertaining. In fact, I might enjoy it more than watching the show itself. I also find myself thinking, "Oh there totally going to make fun of that tomorrow." It makes a more interactive (read: nerdy) Gossip Girl experience.  The Daily Intel is also an entertaining way to get your daily dose of news stories too.

Then there's Bravo TV. What on EARTH did I watch before Bravo came on the air? I love watching their reality shows and then heading to their blogs to see what they have to say more themselves. My favorites are the Top Chef blogs. I love hearing what the judges thought, why they voted the way they did, and how they react to the craziness that they don't see until the show airs. Not to mention, I discovered that Anthony Bourdain is an incredibly talented writer. The way he describes food and experiences is amazing. I've never watched his show, but I think I'll definitely add his books to my "To Read" list.

Have any guilty pleasures I need to add to my list?

No comments: