Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Meet my new best friend...

...my crock pot! In truth, my sister gave me this crock pot SIX years ago and yesterday was only the second time I've used it. But, in an effort to cook at least twice a week, I pulled it out of its box and tried out a recipe from this month's Real Simple.

To begin with, I'm always nervous about how something I cook will turn out... and with good reason. I was also nervous about leaving an appliance on, heating and cooking all day. I know, I know... but I'm practically a crock pot virgin so I feel as though my nerves were justified due to my lack of experience. But I'm proud to proclaim SUCCESS on not burning my apartment down and a fairly delicious meal.

I say fairly delicious because I'm not a huge fan of "traditional" crock pot recipes... stews, roasts, soups... really beef in general. But one can't argue with the fabulousness and ease of returning home at 6 and finding a delicious aroma and meal waiting for them... almost as if magic elves prepared it! I think one of the best parts of preparing it was mixing the sauce together. I'm following the recipe, not knowing what I'm doing, only to find out that I'd made a barbecue sauce of sorts! I felt so accomplished! Here's a picture of the finished product... not so easy on the eyes but wonderful on the taste buds.

Next up, a lemony chicken concoction. Do you have any tried and true crockpot recipes? ...that aren't pot roast?

1 comment:

English said...

You need to get yourself a "fix it and forget it" cookbook - thats where I get all of my recipes out of. I'll have to post the one for mac n cheese. MMMMM