Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My take on the Kindle


Despite the fact that I HAD to have a Kindle for Christmas this past year, I've only read one full book on it since. However, I've started reading Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster (click the picture for a link to Amazon, the book is hilarious) and I've discovered a few pros and cons about it.

Things I love:
  1. I can download the classics, a.k.a. those books I was supposed to read in high school, for free. I'm attempting to re-read several of those to see if my lack of interest was a result of my "oh-so-dramatic, I don't have time to read" life as a high school junior or if I genuinely don't enjoy them. On my 2011 list: Pride and Prejudice (loved it in high school), This Side of Paradise, and Great Expectations. ( Also just came across this article on getting free books for your Kindle if you have one)
  2. Assuming I ever go on a relaxing vacation again, I don't have to take 4 books with me (I'm a fast reader).
  3. I can "highlight" and share passages from the book on Twitter (@lhuckaby) and Facebook. For those of you who follow me on Twitter, I apologize in advance. I'm totally one of those people who's reading, finds something funny or interesting, and totally want to share it with whoever is sitting next to me. In lieu of that, I'll be sharing with the Twittersphere. I'm already having to reign myself in.
  4. I came play games (educational ones of course), surf the internet (do people even use that term anymore?), and read samples of books before I decide to buy.
  5. I can instantly look up the meaning of a word if I'm unsure. This will come in handy when I'm tackling #1 above.
Things that make me miss hrad copy books:
  1. I can't dog-ear or highlight pages, at least not in the literal sense, but I did check out a lot of library books so I couldn't do that anyway. We'll call this one a wash.
  2. Reading footnotes isn't exactly user friendly. You have to scroll down to and click the footnote which takes you to another page, then click back to the book. While this doesn't apply in most books, Jen Lancaster has (hysterical) footnotes on almost every page.
In short, if you're considering buying an e-reader of any kind, I definitely think it's worth it!

No comments: