Friday, January 21, 2011

The Wal-Mart Effect

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart since the fall of 2007. At one point in my life, it was the only place I bought groceries, toiletries and the like. But I took a course in grad school that focused on Wal-Mart's business, ethics, and public relations practices and I haven't shopped there since.

Before you assume that the class skewed my perception, we watched movies and read books that were both for and against the conglomerate. But, surprisingly, the book that changed my opinion was the most objective of them all. The Wal-Mart Effect.


The book explores real stories of employees, suppliers, and others who had all been affected, either positively or negatively by the store.  It's a really interesting read.

My point is, I've realized what a HUGE effect Wal-Mart has on our economy and our everyday choices, especially those in the lower classes. Which is why I was interested to hear that Wal-Mart is planning to offer healthier food choices.  I'm hoping that it will positively impact the health of Americans, but I'll wait and see.

No comments: