Monday, June 6, 2011

Sunday is D-Day

Hello long lost (and dare I say, few?) blog readers! I would give excuses for my absence, but what's the point? I've been inspired to write several things, but lacked the follow-through. So forgive me in advance for this lengthy post.

Here we are, less than ONE WEEK from my triathlon. At 7am on Sunday morning, I'll be diving into  Mountain Island Lake at Latta Plantation to finish this long journey.  I find myself thinking as I do a week before a dentist appointment... brushing and flossing diligently, as if that's going to make a difference when I get there. I want to run, swim and bike non-stop to make sure my race will be a success. I'm lamenting those times that I did not train and wondering how that will affect my performance.

But, I feel a sense of peace (one that my coaches assure me will leave me as soon as I wake up Sunday morning!) that I didn't have when I ran the half-marathon. Before that race, I had not run 13.1 miles so I wasn't certain that I could. But I have trained and completed the race distances for all three legs... now I just need to do it all in less than 2 and a half hours!

And as if I needed a reminder as to why I'm training and fundraising, I ran with a fellow TNTer on Saturday and she shared with me that her mother passed away from colon cancer when she was only three years old. Her mom was 29.  She participates and fundraises in events like these for many of the sames reasons that I do... but mostly to feel a sense of contribution to the support of families and the pursuit of a cure.

I can't even begin to express what a wonderful organization the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is and how much Team in Training has meant to me over the past few years, but especially the past 5 months.  I didn't actively participate in the team trainings for the half-marathon and now I wonder what I missed out on.  The group of people that I've had the privilege of getting to know is unlike any other. My heart is filled with so much joy and a sense of purpose after every training session.

And while I could go on for days about it, I won't. I can only suggest and hope that if you have even the slightest interest in training for an event like this, that you consider doing so with Team in Training. I promise, you won't regret it. My life has changed for the better because of it. Wish me luck this weekend!

Train.Endure.Achieve.Matter.
GO TEAM!
Still accepting donations! ;) http://pages.teamintraining.org/nc/planttri11/lhuckaby

No comments: